Friday, November 10, 2006

What A Lovely Observation From A Stranger

This past Sunday night in Walmart, Alex and I were waiting at the deli counter for some chicken tenders, because OH YES MA'AM do I ever provide some quality nutritional sustenance for my offspring. Alex was chattering away about how he wanted chicken and a donut, and the girl behind the counter said, "Is he your only one?" I didn't understand the reason for the question, but I told her that yes, he was, and she said, "That's why he's telling you what he wants. I bet he's spoiled."

David walked up right at the end of her sentence, and he looked at me, then looked at the girl behind the counter, and he said, "Well, I hope he's not...we really work hard at being consistent with him."

And then the girl replied, "Well, you're the daddy - that's probably why you think that. But I bet his mama over there spoils him to death. You can tell."

Clearly the woman had a point, because, after all, I did WANT TO BUY SOME CHICKEN TENDERS, which is oft considered a prime indicator on the Spoiled Child Index in most academic circles. And certainly the fact that Alex was making requests about what he wanted was Indicator #2, because as we all know, three year olds rarely make their wants or desires known to their mamas.

I guess he's just rotten without a hope for a cure.

But I really do think that the next time a grocery store stranger offers me a Life Lesson about the fact that we only have one child right now, I'm going to loudly announce that the possibility of being pregnant again isn't looking good for me because my uterus just fell out over in the produce department.

That ought to stop the cart traffic on aisle six in its tracks.

;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home