Thursday, April 06, 2006

Next Step: Banging My Head Against A Brick Wall

I have had writer's block all day today - I have started posts two different times and then deleted them, because apparently I've lost all ability to form an opinion, much less convey said opinion in an entertaining manner (and I realize that "entertaining" is a strong word for my humble little corner of the interweb).

Last night David and I got almost no sleep for no discernible reason except that when he tossed, I turned, and when I tossed, he turned. We would both dose off for 30 or 40 minutes only to be wide awake for the next 30 or 40 minutes and then repeat the cycle all over again. It was lots of fun, let me tell you. In the words of Beth Moore and Jeana's post from yesterday, "NOT a blessing." :-)

This next topic is completely unrelated to sleep so I won't even bother to create a transition. I don't talk about it much here (well, ever, really), but I work with teenagers a lot. I don't make their business blog fodder as a general rule - I try to be very, very mindful about respecting their privacy and boundaries and whathaveyou. I love having the opportunity to invest in their lives and minister to them and occasionally counsel them. Contrary to the whole lack of sleep deal, it has definitely been a blessing. But earlier this week I found myself in a situation that was, quite simply, beyond me. I was completely over my head in terms of what to say and what to do and how to proceed.

I won't go into the whole deal because I'm still trying to sort it out in my head and will probably talk about it in this week's LBY post, but it has astounded me - ASTOUNDED ME - how God has taken three or four seemingly separate, seemingly "random" events in my life and woven them all together this week. It has been wonderful and humbling and even a little exhausting...and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all. And I tell you what - I have some staggering powers of description, don't I?

By the way, re-read those last two paragraphs...not a single specific detail to be found. I'm starting to believe that vagueness is my specialty. I can't imagine how gratifying it must be for you to read this blog and get to the end of a post and have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. Be sure to add me to your Favorites!

Anyway, I need to go start supper while Alex is still asleep. Oh! That's one specific something I can share. About a week ago I was sitting on the couch watching Paula Deen on television and Alex crawled into my lap, which he hardly ever does anymore. He snuggled way deep down into my chest (he calls my chest "Mama's pillows," by the way, and I'm not really sure if that's healthy or not, but we'll save that discussion for later), and slowly but surely he got very relaxed, and very still, and he went to sleep.

It was an unexpected, sweet surprise because I've totally gotten accustomed to him using my body as a jungle gym...something to climb, jump off of, run into, swing from, etc. But every afternoon for the last week or so, we've repeated the naptime ritual. I turn on Paula's show, he yells, "MAMA'S SHOW!," snuggles up, extends his arm so that I can scratch it, and then falls asleep after about five minutes. Of course I don't even watch Paula's show - I just watch him...I look at that sweet face and those chubby cheeks (though less and less by the day, it seems) and marvel at how his legs seem to be a foot longer every time he climbs in my lap. It has become my favorite time of day, because I know that it won't be long until his snuggle window starts to close just a little bit. So while it lasts, I am soaking it up.

And if I manage to form an opinion between now and bedtime, I'll be sure to share it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home