Sunday, February 12, 2006

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig

After a loooong day of traveling, Alex and I rolled into the garage about 7:15 tonight. I have burned up the interstate the last couple of days, but it was so worth it. Just a few items of note before I put the little man in the tub and try to recharge my batteries before Monday morning hits:

1) If someone ever questions whether Southern hospitality still exists, he or she needs to attend a gathering that Melanie and Katy coordinate. OH MY WORD at the spreads and dips and fruits and unusual chip products and whole grain breads and meats and cheeses and exotic cracker assortments. While Melanie acted like she just ran by Whole Foods and "picked up a few things," she actually purchased approximately one quarter of the Baton Rouge store's inventory and then created a beautiful tablescape with her McCarty pottery. Katy, competely on the sly, planned a private little shopping excursion to this great place called FeBe, arranged for us to get our make-up done, and then surprised me with a purse that I had pointed out in the first few minutes we were shopping (when I got home and David saw the purse, he said, "so, did the person who designed that know you? Because it looks exactly like you"). Thanks, K & M. Everything was perfect.

2) If someone ever wonders why my former neighbor Kristi and I got along so well, I will explain it now: we laugh almost non-stop when we're in each other's company. Even though we hadn't seen each other in about four years, it was like someone had just hit a pause button on our last in-person conversation, and this weekend we got to pick up exactly where we left off.

3) If someone ever tries the sweet tea at the Popeye's in McComb, MS, and finds it entirely too sweet, think long and hard before you ask an employee if there's any unsweetened tea. Tracey asked today, and she received the following reply: "I don't know." I kind of appreciated the complete lack of interest in customer care and wondered how that laissez-faire attitude might filter down into other Popeye's inquiries. Just imagine:
"Do y'all have any fried chicken?"
"I don't know."
"Do y'all have any biscuits?"
"I don't know."
"Do y'all have any food?"
"I don't know."

4) If someone is ever reluctant to leave a toddler with grandparents because they think the toddler will miss them terribly and never know happiness again, be ye not afraid. As it turns out, toddlers are actually beside themselves with happiness when unlimited supplies of Coke, pizza, ice cream, cookies, Coke, donuts, Cheetos, Coke, Coke, and Coke are available. As I pulled out of Mama and Daddy's driveway this afternoon, Alex actually started to cry and said, "I wanna stay with Pappa! Wanna eat Cheetos!"

5) If someone wants to understand one of the reasons why I feel blessed beyond all measure, he or she should meet my friends. On my little three-day road trip I got to see some friends from every stop in the road: childhood friends, high school friends, college friends, neighbor friends. It made me appreciate the friends I got to see and miss the ones I didn't...but more than anything, if just made me grateful.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home