Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Clearly The Antibiotic Has Given Me A Virus

About three days ago I started to cough. And really, "cough" doesn't do it justice. It's been more like a barking wretch. Last night I woke up in such a fit of manic coughing that I wondered if I was going to throw up, and then that just seemed silly, because who would do such a thing when all they have is "drainage"?

So to the doctor, yes. Excellent idea.

It should be no surprise at this point, as it is par for the BooMama course, that the doctor diagnosed me with a sinus infection. That would be sinus infection #962, if you're keeping score at home, and you should be if you're not, because they're exceptional, my sinuses, capable of storing and replicating all manner of bacteria-laden particles. What can I say? It's a gift.

Two prescriptions later, I headed home, with Alex in the backseat repeating, "Mama! You got a BAAAAD cough!" six or fifty-two times. Observant young lad, isn't he?

Now typically I try not to take antibiotics if I can possibly help it, because I don't like how they make me feel and because I'm always scared some mutant bacterial strain will wreak havoc on the world and I'll be immune to the one drug that cures it. But in this case, well, it seems to me that my options are either 1) antibiotics, 2) pneumonia, or 3) finally coughing up those pesky lungs, at which point I'm guessing that the whole sinus infection thing would seem pretty inconsequential. Antibiotics it is.

So I have taken my medicine like a good little girl - and I took it with food, just like the instructions said - but I am so nauseated - soooo nauseated - that I involuntarily make this low, rumbling, and quite lengthy gurgling noise about once every five minutes, like I'm an elderly, hoarse tomcat trying to get out just one more "meow" before I finally kick it for the ninth time.

And on that note, I bid you a fond, albeit raspy, goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home