Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I Told Myself I Wouldn't Care

Back in the summer of 2003, when I was pretty much watching Fox News all day long while taking care of an infant (this was before he could actually request Noggin and alter his mama's TV routine), the whole Dixie Chicks brouhaha happened, and it flew all over me.

Not because they had an opinion. That didn't bother me at all. They're perfectly entitled to say what's on their mind.

What bugged me is that they were - how should I say this? - kind of stupid.

I mean, if you've sold millions of country music albums, you should know better than to alienate your core audience with an off-the-cuff remark about the President. It's just, as my mama would say, tacky.

Eventually the scandal died down, the Chicks' tour ended, and they faded pretty deeply into the country music woodwork.

And even though I loved all of their CD's, I haven't thought much about them over the last three years. It's not that I have some sort of personal vendetta against them...I've just been preoccupied with other stuff, like, you know, raising a child.

In other words, my worrying-about-the-Natalie-and-the-girls-time has been a little limited.

And, truth be told, I was pretty ambivalent when I read that they have a new CD coming out next week.

Until I listened to this.

I think I may have missed them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home