Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Idol Re-Cap: Final Three

You'll all be happy to know that David is taking this opportunity to fine-tune our TiVo settings, not that I'm, you know, ANXIOUS or anything about tonight's Idol, not that I haven't been looking forward to this all day, not that I didn't FLY down the stairs when I finally got Alex to bed so that I could WATCH MY SHOW. :-)

Ah, all done now...and it looks like it's going to be three songs per contestant tonight: one chosen by Clive Davis (Whitney Houston's producer before she had the meltdown), one chosen by the judges, and one chosen by the contestants.

Elliott Yamin -
"Open Arms" - A Journey song? Really? Yes, really. And while this song does remind me of every awkward social experience I had in junior high, it was pretty good. Could've been really cheesy - and it's certainly nothing I would want to buy - but Elliott did pretty well with it.

"What You Don't Do For Love" - I do love this song that Paula chose for him. It seemed like he was dragging, though - and screaming, too. But I love to hear Elliott sing some of the older R & B songs - they really suit his style and his voice.

"I Believe To My Soul" - Funky and fun and everything good right here. If I could download his version of this song right now (legally, of course), I would listen to it over and over and over. Great arrangement, great vocal. Loved it.

Katharine McPhee -
"I Believe I Can Fly" - I cannot STAND this song. But somehow she made it sound like the big finale for a Disney heroine. And y'all, the more I hear Katharine, the more I wonder if she's going to be a great leading lady on Broadway instead of a best-selling recording artist. David says that she pushes too hard - and I think he's right. It seems like she's trying to do all kinds of fancy stuff - but she sounds better when she's understated and subtle.

"Somewhere Over The Rainbow" - Perfect. Perfect song. Perfect arrangement. Perfect performance. Perfectly beautiful. And did she remind anyone else of Sarah MacLachan? So subtle and elegant and perfect. LOVED IT.

"I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues" - I love this song choice. It was FUN FUN FUN. I think Miss McPhee may have secured her ticket to the finals.

Taylor Hicks -
"Dancing In The Dark" - I am SO not a Springsteen fan (I know, it's un-American). And this song is, well, okay. When you consider that the song bored me to tears when it was a hit, it's probably not much of a shock to discover I didn't love it tonight. Would've been better if he had pulled Courteney Cox on the stage to dance with him. ;-)

"You Are So Beautiful" - I thought this was a really romantic and sweet version of this song. I didn't expect to like it, but it came across as so sincere, so genuine, that it actually brought a little tear to mine eye.

"Try A Little Tenderness" - Hallelujah and Amen. I will be listening to this performance LOUDLY in mere minutes - and dancing spastically throughout my house. David actually didn't like it at all, but he's not a Taylor fan like I am. I, on the other hand, ADORED IT.

By the way, the judges were out of control tonight and totally on my nerves. And Paula? Paula, Paula, Paula.

Should go: Elliott
Will go: Elliott
Best of the night: Katharine's "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" - but Taylor's last song was mighty fun indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home