Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Sinner Saved By Grace, Y'all

I just ran down to our favorite grocery store to grab a quick salad for lunch. I was in a bit of a hurry what with time constraints and all, but I got a little excited when I remembered that they have this delicious antipasto stuff (say it like "anti" in "anti-drug," because that's what the guy behind the counter did, but I didn't correct him because he was real sweet and all).

So in line ahead of me is this sweet elderly gentleman who wanted to fix some salad for his wife. He asked the guy behind the counter all kinds of questions, while I'm standing there trying to be patient but thinking about how much more quickly the process could be moving along.

Once Sweet Elderly Gentleman decided on a type of salad, he took the BIG HUGE COMMERCIAL SPOON and scooped out his wife's lunch in little. tiny. teaspoonfuls.

Because I have a dark, sinful, selfish, impatient heart, and if not by God's grace and the power of the Holy Spirit I would violate traffic laws, especially where school buses are concerned, every single day of my life, all the while yelling at people who hold up lines digging for change in their purses or, heaven forbid, writing checks, here is what I wanted to say:

"Scoop it out. SCOOP. IT. OUT. DIG THE SPOON INTO THE SALAD AND SCOOP IT OUT. DIG THE SPOON WAAAAAY DOWN IN THERE AND YOU CAN EXTRACT MORE THAN A TEASPOONFUL OF SALAD GOODNESS. YOU CAN FILL UP YOUR CONTAINER WITH TWO SCOOPS IF YOU WOULD JUST SCOOP! IT! OUT!"

Here is what I actually said:

Nothing. But ohhhhh I wanted to.

I just smiled politely.

And the antipasto was delicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home