Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Oh Say Can You Sing?

All right - so the whole Mike DuBose topic is a bust, as I realized when I saw Tracey's comment asking who he is. Maybe I'm a little too immersed in football for my own good. So, moving on to Idol-y goodness. I'm way overdue on this topic, I admit.

The hardest thing for me at this stage in the Idol game is that I can't remember many names, although I do have some definite favorites. I'll get to those in a minute.

First of all, I really like American Idol once it gets down to the field of 24. I like parts of the audition process. But when I see contestants who have a sense of entitlement, who argue with the judges, who vow that they don't NEED American Idol because they're gonna "blow up" and go triple platinum and by the way, who the bleepity-bleep does bleeping Paula Abdul think she bleeping is, I have to fight REAL hard not to go out back, pick the thinnest, longest switch I can find, hunt down those ungrateful young'uns and TEAR THEM UP. Whatever happened to humility?

It's that attitude of being owed something, that attitude of being better than everyone else that just drives me straight over the edge. I'm sure that Precious Baby's mama told her how perfect she was from the time she was born, but just because your mama loves to hear you sing doesn't mean that anyone else will. I mean, Mama and Daddy used to smile at me when I'd have to jump down an octave just to get through a chorus of "Oh How I Love Jesus," but never for one second did they delude me with the notion that I had any sort of talent. Somebody needs to be honest with their young'uns and quite parading them down the pageanty path. Because I'll guarantee you that somewhere in most of these bitter young girls' pasts are several failed attempts at becoming Miss Cutie Patootie Petite Princess of Dixie. But that, as they say, is another soapbox for another day.

Second of all, I'm tired of people trying out for the show just to get a laugh. It's not funny anymore. So stop it.

Third, the twins from Memphis? The ones who should have a comma and the words "Drama King" as a permanent suffix to their names? The ones who don't seem to be able to get out of bed in the morinng without finding ways to draw attention to themselves? The ones who fancy themselves God's gift to the music industry? The ones who seem to think they know all the ins and outs of getting a record deal (which, by the way, wouldn't they, you know, HAVE a record deal if they knew so much)? Well, I don't know if y'all have heard or not, but I think we'll be spared from seeing them go much further in the competition, because apparently they have a few legal issues that require their immediate attention.

Okay - let's turn that frown upside down and focus on the positive. And there are links below if you're trying to get up-to-speed.

I adore Taylor Hicks, the guy who's pushing 30, prematurely gray and actually from right here in Birmingham. He has this surprisingly soulful voice, seems grounded, humble, and thankful for the opportunity. I don't know if he'll skew young enough to get any votes, but he'll for sure get mine. He's my favorite. If he doesn't go far, then Sister, maybe you could make some calls to help a good Southern boy, and I'll just leave it at that.

The cute girl named Paris Bennett? The tiny little thing who auditioned singing Billie Holiday? Love her.

And this guy? Will Makar? Adorable. Awesome voice. Headed for the top 5, if you ask me.

I'm curious to know what y'all think. Any favorites? Don't care? Let me know.

Thursday update: here's a link to all the contestants' info.
Thanks, Daph!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home