Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Welcome To My Delusional Funhouse

So stuff is obviously going on in everyone else's lives, since I opened Bloglines this morning and discovered, oh, eleventy billion posts for my reading pleasure.

Meanwhile, here I sit in Alabama, staring at the monitor and thinking, "Hmmm. You know? A peanut butter cup Blizzard from Dairy Queen might be tasty." Or, once my thought process gets really fired up, "Hmmm. Dancing With The Stars starts tonight. That'll give David and me something to do!"

I'll tell you what: you'll get whiplash from the level of excitement in my neck of the woods.

Case in point: the highlight of the last twenty four hours of my life was learning that we have a Starz (or is it Starz!) free movie weekend starting Thursday. As soon as we realized it, D. and I went through the channel guide and programmed the TiVo to record something like fifteen movies.

We're MANIACS!

I'm also happy to report that the votes are in (okay. I really didn't count. I just read.), and we'll be serving fajitas this Sunday. I'm not cooking them - I'm just placing the order with a Mexican restaurant - but the bottom line is that fajitas are kid-friendly. And cheaper. Which is actually two bottom lines. Which isn't possible. So just pretend.

And if I seem a little disjointed the last couple of days, it's because I am. I feel like I'm in my own little la-la land. Too much Deep Thinking capped off with lengthy discussions regarding The Future Of Our Family.

David and I have talked about moving to another house in the spring - something that's much closer to the school where A. will be in 4K next year - and I can't seem to think about moving without going a little cuckoo. Because I am a visual person, I have to picture myself living somewhere...what I'd do with my furniture, what it would be like to walk to the garage, what my drive to the grocery store and church and Walmart would be like.

Have I mentioned that I can be a little OCD?

There's one particular neighborhood that I enjoy - new-ish Craftsman-style houses in a town that has a Main Street, a couple of restaurants, a coffee shop, an ice cream parlor, a florist, etc. I find it utterly charming.

So David and I were talking about it the other night, weighing all the pros and cons, and I said, "You know, I can just SEE myself there...taking Alex to the park, maybe even strolling a baby around the neighborhood..."

David interrupted me, saying, "Yeah. But it's kind of expensive compared to other stuff in the area. Especially if we have another baby, our lifestyle would have to change a little..."

Undeterred, I continued, "...maybe strolling a baby around the neighborhood, taking Alex and the maybe-baby to the ice cream parlor..."

David raised his eyebrows, because clearly I wasn't listening to him.

But I adapted: "...taking Alex and the maybe-baby to the ice cream parlor, where we would stand outside and try to smell the ice cream, because we'd be too broke to actually buy any."

David nodded his head so hard I thought it was going to snap off.

So I don't think we'll be moving there. Needless to say. If an ice-cream cone is a deal-breaker, we're clearly out of our budgetary league.

And I think we'll be just fine right where we are.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Positive Liberation said...

This was lovely tto read

8/15/2023 08:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home