Friday, February 17, 2006

Third Time's The Charm

This first time I wrote this post it was a bit of a rant, because yesterday was a HUMDINGER. Then I revised it, and the second post was much longer, much more introspective, much more thoughtful...but then I decided it was whiny, that people don't come here for thoughtful, and I needed to get over myself already. Just for the record: I am over myself.

The bottom line of version 2.0 was this: I don't write this blog for me. Ultimately, it's for Alex, and not just because I hate a scrapbook and because the whole scrapbooking phenomenon makes me angry (sorry, EK)...all that cutting with special scissors and buying special papers and designing themes for displaying pictures from Billy's 4th birthday - it is so not me on any level. Alex's half-finished baby book is proof. But this blog is my digital scrapbook for Alex. He'll be able to look at it one day and see what his parents are really like and that they actually have, you know, personalities. He'll see comments from my childhood friends, high school friends, college friends, babymama friends - so he'll know what y'all are like, too, and hopefully he'll like you anyway. Oh, I'm kidding. You know I think you are, as Mama says, "the berries," and while I don't know what that means, exactly, I'm sure it's positive.

He'll see comments from his aunts and uncles and cousins...he'll have a hunk of his family history right here in this little ole blog. He'll have pictures, stories, details of our lives before and after his arrival, and all of that, to me, outweighs any short-term strains I'm feeling on my end. When he gets older, I can print each and every one of these entries, bind them together, and give him, essentially, a book of his life (not to be confused with The Book of Life, which is slightly better written and has far greater long-term benefits). I just think the whole concept is, in a word, cool. And even when I get a little tired or overwhelmed or bogged down, is the time this blog thing takes worth it? Yeah, it is. For lots of reasons.

So bear with me over the next few weeks. We have a whole lot going on in our neck of the woods. David is swamped with his work, and I'm swamped with my work, but at the same time we're grateful to have work that we love. I'm cooking for some people who are performing at church next Thursday night, so there is much grocery shopping and prepping and chopping and baking to be done (THAT will be heaven on earth for me - pure therapy). Then there's another meal to cook the next week (the one where they're going to give us a baby). There's also a little boy who's turning three very soon, and I need to get on the ball with all the plans for that. In the midst of all the activity, blogging is going to have to take a backseat. I'll still be around, of course, but probably just once a day. We'll see how it goes.

Unfortunately, I am not in fact a robot, and I do require what the humans call "rest" and "sleep." Go figure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home