Monday, March 27, 2006

The Glamorous Life

I mentioned last week that I checked out Wynonna Judd's autobiography from the library and that I really want for Sister to introduce us so that we can go ahead and start our journey down the inevitable road of being Best Friends Forever. Well, last night I was reading her take on meeting famous people: Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Carl Perkins, Tammy Wynette, etc. - and I started to think about my own encounters with the Rich and Famous. Mine is such a lame list. But I'll share.

1. Meeting Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr. backstage at a concert in Meridian.
2. Meeting Lee Greenwood outside the Temple Theatre in Meridian. This was when "God Bless The USA" had only been played about a thousand times, as opposed to the 16 bajillion times (and that is an actual number) that it's been played since.
3. Seeing Amy Grant at the former Sunflower grocery store on Highway 100 in Nashville.
4. Seeing Amy Grant just two nights later at the James Taylor concert in Nashville (maybe Amy and I are also meant to be BFF, though I'll have to watch my back for Stacey D. if that happens, and only those of you who went to college with me will get that).
5. Seeing TG Sheppard (is your heart pulsing with excitement?) in a restaurant in Gatlinburg.
6. This is a long one. When we were juniors in college, Merritt, Tracey, Katy and I went to Washington, DC for spring break because isn't it the nation's #1 spring break destination? OH, we had the best time. We went EVERYWHERE, much to Merritt's (not really) delight. Anyway, when we were leaving our White House tour, which was kind of special because a sorority sister's daddy was in the Secret Service and hooked us up, we saw a limo pull out of the gates, and we did what most 20 year old girls would do: we chased it. Much to our surprise, it stopped. The window rolled down. The first thing we saw was a dog. The second thing we saw was Bob Dole, who was MOST kind. And we were so flustered that we really didn't know what to say, so eloquent me spoke up and said, "So. Are you off to do? Some important things?" But isn't that sweet, y'all? At the time he was the most powerful man in the Senate, and he stopped to talk with some college girls from Mississippi. Love that memory.
7. Meeting Emily from the Indigo Girls after their concert at State. I tried to talk to her about the lyrics from "Ghost," and oh it's all just so unbelievably awkward that even 15 years later I don't like thinking about it.
8. Meeting Chris Parnell after a Groundlings show in LA. This was in his pre-SNL days, and since he was from Memphis, and I was from Mississippi, I wanted to let him know how well he represented the South. He was very nice. That very same night I saw Mike from "Real World: Miami," but we won't count that one.
9. Seeing Ivana Trump outside of a restaurant in NYC. My brother stuck his entire body out of the car (we were about to leave the restaurant) and did one of those Jethro Clampett cat-call whistles so that she would look our way. I don't think I've ever laughed that hard. In fact, I know I haven't.
10. Meeting Point of Grace, Chris Tomlin, and Louie Giglio through stuff at church. Y'all have heard all about that. And I know they're not famous to all, but they're famous to me, so there.

So - what are some of your encounters with famous folks? And Sister, you have a DECIDED advantage in this area, so maybe you'll just want to give us your top 5 or so - because I don't think Blogger can handle your list. :-)

Tell it all in the comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home