Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bless Him

Tonight on the way home from church I called my friend Daphne. She left me a very serious-sounding message about, oh, SIX HOURS before I returned her call, but unbeknownst to me my phone was on silent. Anyhoo.

So I called her from the car and didn't even think about the fact that I was interrupting the American Idol results show (I know! The irony!). Alex HAD to talk to her because he HAS to talk to EVERYONE I call (or who calls me, for that matter). Here's what Alex's conversation sounded like from my end:

"Hey Daffy. I go to church and to Walgreens and now I goin' home. Okay! Bye bye!"

[hands phone back to me, then starts screaming]

"Wait, Mama! Wait! Wanna say 'I love you' to Daffy!"

[I give him the phone again.]

"Daffy, I love you."

Then Daffy - er, Daphne's older son, Davis, wanted to talk to me. I mean, it was only fair.

Knowing that Davis, who's five, has had a tremendous crush on AI's Kellie Pickler, I started our conversation by saying, "Davis, how do you feel about Kellie Pickler?"

"I love her."

"So do you like her a bunch?"

"I love her."

With Davis' undying love and devotion established, his mama and I talked long enough to agree to talk later - once the AI festivities were over.

About an hour later, my phone rang at home. I hadn't watched the results show yet, so I told Daph to go ahead and give me the news. She said, "Lemme put it this way. My son bawled his eyes out. He sobbed. Even heaved a little."

Kellie Pickler, you see, was eliminated.

And I just thought that was the sweetest thing ever - that a five year old little boy, totally infatuated with a cute little blonde singer from North Carolina, was grieved to the point of tears when his truest of true loves was eliminated from a reality television program.

Hopefully that sweet little broken heart will be all mended in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home