Monday, May 29, 2006

A Spiritual Meme

Lauren tagged me for this "spiritual meme," which is a mighty good thing indeed because I have nothing to say this morning...that is, I have nothing to say unless it's an attempt to answer the constant barrage of questions that Alex is firing at me (Where are my brown shoes? Where are you, mama? Can I see my daddy? Who's that, Mama? What's that for? Can I watch Noggin? Can I have some turkey? Is that Mr. Jimmy? Can I see Clay Clay? And on. And on.) At some point I believe that my head will spin off its axis, land in the middle of the floor, and Alex won't have a single reaction except to say, "What happened, Mama? Can I touch it? Can I put it back on? Can we take it to the park? Please, Mama?"

Sorry. Needed to vent. :-)

Now on with the meme.

What is your life verse?
I had never heard the phrase "life verse" until we moved here and I went to work at a Christian school that used this phrase all the time, and I realized that I had a life verse and didn't even know it...a verse that I'd been clinging to for almost twenty years, but I just called it "my favorite verse." Here it is (I'm sure the suspense is killing you): "Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen." - Ephesians 3:20-21

Give a bit of your testimony.
I don't have a dramatic, rousing testimony...I grew up in the Methodist church and accepted Christ when I was 13 years old. From that point on, I was consistently inconsistent in my walk...there were lots of highs and lows and ups and downs. There have been times in my life when I knew that God was calling me into a deeper relationship with Him - and I would "dig deep" for a period of time, then drift away again.

I think one of the reasons for this pattern is that I lacked a strong Biblical foundation, so I wasn't advancing much on the spiritual maturity chain. And then I went through a phase in my early 20's where I was very disillusioned with the church, very cynical about organized religion, and I decided that I would just be "spiritual" but pretty much had no need for community or fellowship with believers. It wasn't a terribly fun time.

When I was in my late 20's, I got a job teaching in a Christian school, and the fact that that happened at all is a TOTAL miracle, because trust me when I tell you that I was not looking to teach in a Christian school - especially a Baptist one. :-) But that was really the first step into what has become a sustaining, steady faith - it was the beginning of a huge period of growth for me. David and I found a church that we loved in Baton Rouge, and our time there helped us to release a lot of our 'baggage' from the church where we grew up.

When we moved here, I was almost immediately enveloped by a circle of Christian friends. It took us awhile to find a church home, but when we did, it changed our lives. We have learned more about the Bible in the last four years than we did in all the previous years combined. We've learned about community, and fellowship, and really investing in people. More than anything, I've learned to serve others - something I resisted for so long.

Do you have a favorite preacher?
I have several. I love hearing Rick Ousley - our former pastor - "preach down the stars," as my friend Sandra says. Our friend Kevin, who's on staff at our church, is an incredible teacher and makes the Bible more relatable than anyone I've ever heard. As an added bonus, he cracks me up. Beth Moore is my favorite Bible study teacher, bar none.

What’s the best Bible Study you’ve ever done?
Beth Moore's Believing God - hands down. Life changing.

What do you feel God’s calling is on your life?
I could write paragraphs on all the specific ways I think I'm supposed to serve and live out my faith, but I can pretty much boil it down to one simple phrase: to love God and love people. The primary way that manifests itself right now is by serving David and Alex first - however I can - and I feel very, very fortunate that I have a couple of other ministry "outlets" that enable me to serve teenagers as well as new members in our church.

And I can't explain it, but I feel like God has a plan for this writing stuff that I do (proof of my abilities: the phrase "writing stuff," which reveals deep levels of giftedness). I don't mean a book or anything like that - my lack of imagination prevents me from writing more than five or six paragraphs at a time - but I just feel like He's showing me that there's more I could be doing with writing than I am right now. What that might be, I have absolutely. no. idea. :-)

I think this meme has pretty much made the rounds, but if you haven't used it yet, consider yourself tagged.

Happy Memorial Day, everybody!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home