Friday, June 16, 2006

You Will SO Thank Me For This

Next week our Soul Food ministry at church is doing a breakfast for the staff, and that's always good news for David because it means I start trying out new recipes about a week in advance. Earlier this week I ran across a new recipe in Southern Living, and I made it last night. I have to share it because it's the simplest thing in the world but so, so good...David and I couldn't get over how tasty it was.

I modified the original recipe a little bit (it called for horseradish...David does not do horseradish), and you could do this very thing on bagels, English muffins, etc. I just happened to have wheat bread on hand, so that's what I used.

Did I mention how delicious it is?

Here's what you do:

Boil 6 eggs.

Fry 6 pieces of bacon.

Slice 2 or 3 fresh tomatoes.

In a food processor or mixer, combine 1 8 oz. block of cream cheese, softened and broken into about 8 pieces; 1 cup of mayonnaise (or horseradish), 1 packet of Ranch dressing mix, and 1 small grated onion (about 1/4 cup). Set aside.

Toast 8 or 10 pieces of bread (or bagel, or whatever). Cover toasted bread with a tablespoon of cream cheese spread. Then layer 3 or 4 slices of fresh tomato, a sliced boiled egg, and crumble bacon over the top. Sprinkle dried dill over one layer (or every layer if you like a lot of dill). That's it!

We made "real" sandwiches...the original recipe in SL is for pretty open-faced sandwiches that have been cut into circles, and that's probably what I'll do for the staff breakfast.

And I'm telling y'all - it is SO DADGUM TASTY.

Guess what we'll be having for lunch? :-)

In other news, Alex has actually gone upstairs BY HIMSELF to watch a Veggie Tales movie.

Yes, I said BY HIMSELF.

This is a HUGE development because for the longest David and I have wondered if Alex wasn't going to be like the guy in Sixteen Candles whose parents are trying to drag him into a school dance but he's fighting them with all his might and screaming "NO! NO! I want to stay with YOU GUYS!"

I mean, I get that Alex is extroverted. Oh BELIEVE YOU ME I get that. But I really do try to encourage him to go upstairs alone every once in awhile and play with his toys or read his books or jump on beds or test the laws of nuclear dynamics or whatever. But he usually says, "Mama, YOU come upstairs. YOU play with trains. YOU test the laws of nuclear dynamics."

That's why this going upstairs to watch a movie alone thing is such a big deal. In fact, last night, when I told my neighbor E. about it, she practically screamed, "NO WAY! That's HUGE!"

I'm telling you. The child is a people person.

So I'm going to take advantage of this rare moment of solitude and vacuum before Alex realizes that he is in fact all alone up there and then calls for me to come sit with him. It won't be long now. Trust me on that.

OH! One more thing! I mentioned in the comments a couple of days ago that I told our worship minister that I would cook breakfast for the praise team and band if he and his wife would sing "Grateful People" from the Watermark CD that you should buy or download if you haven't already. And then I remarked that it's fun to bribe worship ministers. All for the cause of good Christian fellowship, of course.

ANYWAY, Jim wrote me back and said that he was way ahead of me - that his wife is singing that song this Sunday, so yes, to plan on fixing breakfast in a few weeks. :-) But y'all. Isn't that weird? Maybe I should set up a fortune telling booth in my front yard.

Or not.

But still. Weird.

Off to clean...Alex is still upstairs...so whatever you're doing, keep doing it. Don't alter the course of the universe one iota, lest he revert back to "constant companion" mode before I get the downstairs clean.

Happy Friday. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home